20 August 2022 The Irish Film & Television Network

Irish Film and Television Network


Locations Ireland


Search by Type



Rathfarnham - South Dublin County

CONTACT:   Rosaleen Dwyer Heritage Officer ADDRESS:  Rathfarnham - South Dublin County
PHONE:  +35314149000 FAX: 
EMAIL:   rdwyer@sdublincoco.ie  WEB:  www.southdublin.ie

Although subsumed into the suburbs of South Dublin, Rathfarnham still retains its quaint village character. The area has major connections with Ireland’s revoluntionary past and there are several notable historic buildings in the area; Rathfarnham Castle, Butterfield House, Old Orchard House, St. Enda’s (where Padraig Pearse established his school for boys), and Loreto Abbey (formerly Rathfarnham House and home of the King’s Printer in Ireland).

Rathfarnham Castle was completed in 1585 and is an example of a type of structure known as a fortified house. The gates of the demesne at one stage opened directly out onto the main street of the village. The Castle is now owned by the Office of Public Works and is open to visitors.

At the end of the Main Street is Rathfarnham Graveyard which contains the ruins of a church dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul. This was a medieval church and was used for Protestant worship down to 1795 when it was found to be too small for the congregation and a new church was erected nearby. This church is still used by the Church of Ireland Community.

The Catholic Church of the Annunciation was erected in 1878 to replace the old Chapel in Willbrook Road. On the opposite corner from the Church of the Annunciation is the well-known Yellow House built on the site of an inn of the same name which is shown on Taylor's map of 1816. A tradition has been recorded by Mr. Hammond that in 1798 it was owned by a Michael Eades, who sheltered wanted men in his house. It was also frequented by the soldiers of the Rathfarnham Guard whose careless talk was carefully noted by the United Irishmen hiding on the premises.

In the early 18th great industrial drive took place. Mills which harnessed the water power of the Owendoher and other rivers were built. Initially most of the mills produced paper. During the early part of the 19th Century a number of these mills changed over to the manufacture of woollen and cotton goods and later still many were converted into flour mills. Many of these mill buildings still survive, including Edmondstown Mills and Cloragh Mills.

There are several parks in the area, including those at Rathfarnham Castle and St. Enda’s (Pearse Museum), and Marlay Park. The Dublin Mountains are easily accessible from the area.

There are also two shopping centres nearby – Rafhfarnham Shopping Centre and Nutgrove Shopping Centre.

Previous productions in Rathfarnham include:

2004 Intermission (Rathfarnham Shopping Centre & Tallaght) 

« Go back

 the Website  Directory List  Festivals  Who's Who  Locations  Filmography  News  Crew  Actors

Contact Us | Advertise | Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Security & Privacy | RSS Feed | Twitter



bodrum escort bayan escort antalya gumbet escort