21 August 2019 The Irish Film & Television Network
Actors
TV
Crew
Digital
Distribution
Education / Training
Equipment
Festivals / Markets
Finance
Legal
Locations Ireland
Post Production
Production
Rep Bodies
JOBS FILMOGRAPHY NEWS WHO'S WHO DIARY GALLERY IFTA
     
Locations Ireland
Search By Region
Search by Type
Studios
Location Services
Ireland Facts
Tax Incentives
Co-Production
Local Film Commissions
Crewing
Actors
Locations News
What's In Production
Film & TV Studios
Site Map
IFTN HOME

Irish Film and Television Network

 »

Locations Ireland

 »

Search by Type

 »

Villages



Saggart - South Dublin County

CONTACT:   Rosaleen Dwyer Heritage Officer ADDRESS:  Saggart - South Dublin County
PHONE:  +35314149000 FAX: 
EMAIL:   rdwyer@sdublincoco.ie  WEB:  www.southdublin.ie

 
Saggart is a picturesque village south of Tallaght.

Despite recent major development in the area, including the Citywest Business Park, residential developments, and the expansion of the Naas Road, the village still retains its quaint character. Saggart is also home to the Citywest Hotel and Conference Centre.

In 1901, Jacob’s Bar was established in the village by members of the Jacob family, and it since established itself as a local landmark. It was sold in 2005, but continues to operate as a public house from its premises in the centre of the village.

There are four surviving pre-Norman monuments in the village: two high crosses, a cross-slab, and cross-base, all of which stand in the graveyard, sited across Garter Lane from the Roman Catholic Church. The graveyard predates the current church, and is located on the site of previous church buildings, most probably the monastery of St Mosacra. Work on the current church began in 1847, and the dedication of the church took place on 19th August 1849. The church was rendered in Wicklow granite in the gothic style popular at the time.

To the south of Saggart lies the Slade of Saggart, the glaciated valley of the River Camac, where, according to some accounts, Laoghaire, the High King of Ireland was killed in a battle with the King of Leinster in about 458 AD.

Saggart and its surrounding landscape are home to a large number of sites of archaeological interest. To the left of the Boherboy Road, as you approach the village, two standing stones, known as ‘Adam and Eve’, are visible in a field. In a field off the Blessington Road, not far from the Crooksling Home, is the Raheen standing stone. The Swiftbrook Paper Mills were founded around 1760, and later became famous for their Ancient Irish Vellum and Erin brands; they also produced paper for banknotes and stamps. The mills underwent redevelopment and expansion over the years: the old, lower mill was refurbished in 1795, and a second upper mill was added in the mid-nineteenth century. The Mill closed in 1972, and the Swiftbrook buildings were cleared in 2001; the site has been partially redeveloped for housing, but some ruins of the Mill remain.

Saggart is easily accessible from the N7, and by Luas Red Line. There are several reputable restaurants in the village, and the area’s retail needs are served by Citywest Shopping Centre.

Previous productions in Sagart include:

2011 Strictly Irish Dancing TV3 (Citywest Hotel)
2011 The Apprentice TV3 (Citywest Hotel)
 


« Go back


 
 the Website  Directory List  Festivals  Who's Who  Locations  Filmography  News  Crew  Actors
 

Contact Us | Advertise | Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Security & Privacy | RSS Feed | Twitter